Communities In Schools is the nation’s largest dropout prevention organization.
The mission of Communities In Schools is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
By bringing caring adults into the schools to address children’s unmet needs, CIS provides the link between educators and the community. The result: teachers are free to teach, and students – many in jeopardy of dropping out – have the opportunity to focus on learning.
For over 30 years, Communities In Schools has worked to ensure that every child needs and deserves these “Five Basics”:
• A one-on-one relationship with a caring adult
• A safe place to learn and grow
• A healthy start and a healthy future
• A marketable skill to use upon graduation
• A chance to give back to peers and community
Family Connection is in every county in Georgia and envisions a Georgia where all children are healthy, ready to start school and do well when they get there, and where every family is stable and self-sufficient.
The key to strengthening Georgia’s families is collaboration at the local level to develop and implement plans based on each community’s needs. Every collaborative organization coordinates a planning process that:
• identifies needs and resources
• sets goals and priorities
• evaluates strategies, programs, and practices
• measures and reports results.
Local Family Connection organizations are focused on improving child and family well-being in five areas:
• healthy children
• children ready to start school
• children succeeding in school
• stable, self-sufficient families, and
Copyright © Athens-Clarke County High School Completion Initiative. All rights reserved.
Design by D.TAMU, Inc.
Education Matters Network/MEU Radio Athens is operated by the Athens-Clarke County High School Completion Initiative, a registered nonprofit in Georgia.